Friday, August 10, 2012

Untrue Life Stories

It has occurred to me that most of my posts are political or cinematic in nature. As such, I think it's time for something different. Therefor, I have decided to dedicate one post per month to writing a short story.

I am a cinephile and would like to make a living in "the pictures" someday, writing and directing movies. However, I also quite enjoy writing short stories. Indeed, this is one reason I excelled in English classes (and by "excelled," I mean "got higher than a C+"). But even so, I think I'd like to try something a little different.

"Fan fiction," as defined by Wikipedia, is a broadly defined term for fan labor regarding stories about characters or settings written by fans of the original work, rather than the creator. In other words, it is original plagiarism written by obsessed fans. Some popular settings are Harry Potter, the Twilight series, or even Pride & Prejudice. Personally, I've never been a big enough fan of any given book or movie to base my own stories on them (except for once in the sixth or seventh grade with Harry Potter, but that hardly counts). I am, however, a big fan of my friends, and have often thought of putting them in my stories. As such, these may be considered "friend fiction." They will be stories about me and some real-life friends in unreal-life situations. You can take solace in knowing that I won't be writing "erotic friend fiction" (usually).
(if you have not yet seen Bob's Burgers, watch it now. if you have seen it and do not like it, throw yourself into an oncoming bus)

I've chosen to call these stories Untrue Life Stories: Exaggerated Accounts from Unreal Situations by yours truly. It follow me as I travel around with a video camera, pursuing a career as a "guerrilla filmmaker," recording day-to-day life, including, but not limited to; time travel, pseudo science, magic, playing God, evolution, Satan's personal hygiene and dietary preferences, alien life forms, the zombie apocalypse, super  powers, or animals that look cute until they are wet.
(wet koala; be afraid)

I plan on starting next week. I would start today, but I am so far unsure which story to start with and am looking for further input. And I dare not start it any later, because of the approaching Republican and Democratic National Conventions.
(the Republican National Convention; be very afraid)

No comments:

Post a Comment